Monday, February 3, 2014

Chicken Noodle Soup that Rivals Your Grandma's

Can you see the steam?  I can.
There is something so traditionally comforting about Chicken Noodle Soup.  Maybe it's that it's the go-to soup when you aren't feeling well, maybe it's that you have this idea that Grandma's make it (although I don't think mine ever did), or maybe it's just that is really good and warms you from the inside, out.  Love that.

I like my Chicken Noodle Soup, simple and classic, just how I like my men.  The best part of that?  It's easy to make and doesn't require a ton of ingredients.  Double win.

Equipment you will need:
  • Stock Pot
Eagerly awaiting the addition of broth.
Ingredients:
  • Olive oil, 1 1/2T, just enough to cover the bottom of your pot, don't measure it.  You don't want oily soup so don't go overboard
  • 1 Yellow Onion, diced
  • 4 stalks of celery (4 single stalks, not 4 full hearts.  That would be overwhelming.), sliced into little half moons, about 1/4in wide.  Small.
  • 2-3 Carrots (2 if they are big, 3+ if they are little guys), cut lengthwise and then sliced into half moons.  The celery and the carrots will be about the same shape
  • Home Made Chicken Broth, ideally (if you don't have time, I won't look while you empty a carton into the pot).  If you are trying to impress anyone, you should really make your own broth, not to be pushy. Recipe is here.  If you are buying it, get at least 2, 32oz boxes.
  • Leftover shredded chicken - could be from a rotisserie, from last nights dinner, from the carcass that you used to MAKE your chicken broth.
  • Fresh noodles, I like fettuccine, broken into 2-3in pieces
  • Fresh Parsley (optional, but really adds a bright flavor at the end).  Half of a bunch, roughly chopped
  • Salt and Pepper
Way to long to be eating with a spoon, which is why your tear them.  I love fresh noodles. So much.
This is home made.  Amazing body.  Not because it works out, but because of the depth of flavor
Directions:
  • Heat your olive oil in your stock pot over a medium flame
  • Add the onion and a few grinds of salt of pepper and cook until the onion pieces start to get translucent and soft
  • Add your celery and carrots, stir with the onion so that the olive oil is distributed on all the veggies
  • Hit it with a little more salt and pepper.  Then hit me with your best shot.
  • Add your broth.  You are waiting for me to give you an amount, I know.  It's up to you.  Do you like it "brothy?"  Add a lot.  Do you like it "hearty?" Don't add so much.  I love Homemade Broth, so I like it brothy, homemade brothy.  Am I making myself clear?
  • Cover with the lid and let the broth warm over a low-medium flame
  • Once the broth is warm, add your noodle pieces.  Fresh noodles cook really quickly, like 3-4minutes.
  • A few minutes after you add the noodles, add chopped parsley and the chicken.
  • Let it all cook together until the noodles finish cooking and the chicken is warm
  • Ladle it up and start warming yourself from the inside out 


No comments:

Post a Comment