Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Twice Baked Spaghetti Squash

Ready for Stuffing

 This dinner was unreal.  Talk about comfort food.  Talk about perfect for a crowd.  Talk about easy. Talk about it.  Without much further ado...

Equipment Needed:
  • Baking Sheet
  • Saute Pan
Ingredients:
  • 1 Prepared Spaghetti Squash save the shells! Recipe here
  • 2-3 Hot Italian Sausage - Whole Foods has my favorite!
  • Olive Oil for the pan
  • 1 Yellow Onion, quartered and then sliced
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced (see image below)
My slippers are untied.
  • 6-10 Brown Mushrooms, sliced.  I really like them so go with 10 :)
  • 1 Jar of Tomato Sauce, a light cream sauce is best.  "Rao's" Vodka Sauce is my personal favorite for this recipe
  • 3/4 cup Frozen Green Peas, more if you like them, less if you don't
  • Salt
  • Mozzarella Cheese
There were 3 of us, so I roasted 2 squash.  So.  Many.  Leftovers.  So.  Amazing.

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350
  • Slice the sausages into about 1/4 inch slices and put them in the pan with olive oil that's heated over the flame for a minute or two...you want the sausage to sizzle when you drop it in
  • Flip them over after about 3-4 minutes so that they brown on both sides
  • Cook for another 2-3 minutes and then remove from the pan, leave the oil in the pan!  It will add flavor to the sauce
  • Throw your onions, peppers, and mushrooms in the pan, still hot with oil from the sausage
  • Add Salt, a few good grinds from your salt grinder
  • Stir and let them cook down in the pan a little, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Don't let them get too loose, you want them keep their form
See?  They aren't raw, but they aren't totally cooked down.  Still have a bit of that crunch
  • Add the sauce, the sausage and the peas and give it a good stir, let it cook together for 3-4 minutes
Make it stoppppp.
  • Add your spaghetti squash and mix it all together.  Get it good and coated...this was a challenge because I definitely overfilled my pan.  I just got so excited and so hungry
  • Fill the halves of your spaghetti squash shells and top with cheese
  • Put shells on a baking sheet and into the oven for 15 minutes.  The cheese will melt and the filling should be nice and warm...flavors all married and ready for consumption.  Ugh, now I'm hungry
Ready to go back into the oven...just like a twice baked potato!
No Counter Space?  No problem.  Check out this work space.
En.  Joy.  I really liked this meal the first time, and then for the next two days I just thought about dinner all day long because I knew I had leftovers.  Talk about serving it.  Let me know what you think!
Don't you want to come over for dinner?  Perfect meal...the glass of wine didn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment