Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia...Seed Pudding

I love reading about "Super Foods."  They all seem to be a food that I hadn't heard of until 5-10 years ago.  Did you know what a Goji berry was in college?  Kale, even?  Chia seeds are no different.  Apparently the Aztecs have been into these things for awhile (good for them), so it looks like I'm a few thousand years behind.  Whatever, I caught on and now I am totally into their Super-ness and their tastiness.

Now you know that I use AT&T
Bon Appetit posted the above recipe on their instagram (@bonappetitmag) about how to make a quick chia seed pudding; apparently someone in the office was trying to get healthy after Thanksgiving.  I didn't have all the ingredients when I made mine, but I used their base and worked with what I had.  After eating it twice, I'm realizing there's lots of room for creativity.

I have been taking this to work with me, with a salad, for lunch...it's fast, portable and surprisingly satisfying, plus it's got fiber and protein.  Do you know what fiber does for you??  What's not to love.   Here's how you do it:

**Adapted from @bonappetitmag - thank you!!**

Equipment You Will Need:
  • A Tupperware or bowl with a lid (or really any bowl with plastic wrap if you aren't commuting with it)
  • A fork
  • Yup, that's it.

Ingredients for the Base:
  • 1 C Almond Milk (I am pretty sure that you could use coconut, soy or even regular milk, but I haven't tested it, I'll get right on it)
  • 3T Chia Seeds
  • Potential add-ins of your choice, see below
  • Yup, that's it.
You only really need two of these, so far my favorite combo is with chia seeds, almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Delish.  Tastes like dessert!
Directions:
  • Combine the Almond Milk and the Chia Seeds
  • Stir with your fork for about 5 minutes...you want all the seeds to get dunked in milk and not to be squished in the corners, in the same way you beat an egg before scrambling it
Before Stirring...
...After.  No clumps, smooth and even.


  • Option to stir in a "flavor add-in" (see below) until it's well mixed
  • Refrigerate for at least two hours or up to 2 days (I made mine on my way out the door, stuck it in the fridge when I got to work, and then it was ready for lunch 4 hours later!)
Options for flavor add-ins: Vanilla, Cinnamon, Maple Syrup, Agave, Nutmeg, Shredded Coconut, Almond Extract, Cocoa Powder...to name a few

Optional Toppings: Honey, Chopped nuts, Cocoa nibs, Berries, Bananas.  I mean, the possibilities are endless, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment