Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Towering Fajita Goodness


Fajitas are just fun.  When you get them in a restaurant, they come out sizzling, you get to control how much extra guacamole you put on each bite, how much hot salsa, how much mild...and really making them at home is no different.  In this case I had left over chicken (not ready to share the chicken recipe yet), but you could use shrimp, tofu, steak, pork, mushrooms, (anything really) to "beef" it up....no pun intended.  Or, pun intended.

This is my favorite brand of guacamole.  Hands-Down. Just as a side-note , I like a LOT on each bite.


Equipment you will need:
  • Wide, flat bottom pan, not a pot
  • Spatula or big spoon so that your hand won't get too close to the heat (comin' in hotttt)
  • Knife & Cutting Board
  • Tongs (unless you have really quick hands that can avoid flames)...look right here:
Fire Seared Tortilla - que auténtico.  Really though, this is a huge flavor booster. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 Onion, mine was a medium sized one, but a big one would be fine
  • 1 large Red Bell Pepper 
  • 1 T of Oil, I used Safflower.  Please don't measure this, just pour for like 4 seconds 
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1/2 t Cumin - don't do it, please don't measure.  Just give it a couple good shakes.  It's not spicy, more smokey
  • 1/4 t Chile Powder - no measuring, but fewer shakes, this has a little more heat.  Go for half the amount of Cumin....más o menos (more or less - I was a Spanish Major. #yup)
  • Any meat or protein that you want!  Already cooked. (If it isn't cooked, just brown it up in a separate pan before you add it so that it gets a good sear and the raw meat doesn't mix with the veggies. #ecoli #nogracias)
I just used my hands to shred this chicken.  After I washed them of course
  • Tortillas - I like the corn ones that say they are home made.  I am 99% sure that they are made in a factory, but that factory is home to many machines and some employees, so that works for me.
  • Topping Potentials: Guacamole, Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt (yes, you can use greek yogurt, I swear), COTIJA CHEESE (the capital letters express my strong feelings), fresh cilantro, salsa.  Go crazy.

Directions:
  • Slice your onion in half, and peel that skin away, cut it in quarters and slice that baby up
  • Slice your bell pepper into 1/4 - 1/2 inch wedges, and then cut them in half again..I;m not articulating myself well, just look at this picture:
See what I mean? Sliced long ways, and then in half so that the pieces aren't so long...easier to eat.
  • Heat the oil in the pan - get it hot, you want the onions & peppers to sizzle
  • Add the onions & peppers (and mushrooms if you are using them) to the HOT oil.  hot hot hot.  #hot #notwarm
  • Add Salt & pepper (a few twists of each from your grinders)
  • Sprinkle on the Cumin and the Chile Powder - smell these. Wait, don't get them too close to your face or they will go straight to your brain.  Try wafting.  If you like the smell, add more!
Mmmhmmm...freshly seasoned and starting to sizzle
  • Once things have sizzled for a bit, start to stir them, but keep the pan hot
  • The veggies will wilt and pick up the coloring from the spices...that's the magic happening
  • Add in your cooked meat or protein of choice
  • NOTE - if you feel like anything is burning and instead of browning (turning black and not brown) you can add some broth or water
  • When the meat is hot and incorporated...it's ready!!  
I mean, you can see the smokey/spicy steam.  #yesplease
  • Stack your fajita with whatever toppings you like best...here's my work of art:

    This is like Base Camp for the Mountain that is about to be constructed...



    In case you forgot what it looked like at the top of this entry... ta dahhhh.  I give you Fajita Mountain.

     The aftermath...
    yes.  I single handedly ate what is no longer in the pan.  I'm a growing girl.  That's what my mom says at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment