Friday, January 10, 2014

Beets Do NOT Taste like Dirt. Pinky Promise.

The Before.  Earthy and raw.
I saw these at the farmers market and pulled a classic Sus-move and made an impulsive purchase.  My mom made these all the time when I still lived under her roof, so I had an idea of what to do with them, but ultimately, this was a true test...and I lucked out, they are tasty and were easy to make.

Equipment you will need:
  • Cookie sheet or baking pan - I used that trusty brownie pan again
  • Tin Foil
Ingredients:
  • Beets - however many you want!
  • Garlic Cloves - half the amount of beets...6 beets = 3 garlic cloves .  Capisce?
  • Drizzle of Olive Oil
  • Salt
Directions:
  • Preheat your oven to 325
  • Cut the "top" of the beet off of the beet - not the long, tail looking side, but the flatter end where the leaves were growing from.
It's the "fat" end of the beet.  Look at those colors :)
  • Peel the garlic and smash it with a knife.  Lay the cloves on a cutting board, place your knife on top of them, flat side down, blade away from you, safety first.  Hit the knife with all of your might and the cloves will crush.  Then flavors and aromatics will seep into your beets.  Yum.
Smashed.  Ready to infuse. Make those beets drunk with garlic.
  • Place the beets and garlic on a sheet of tin foil
  • Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
  • Wrap the goods up like a foil envelope.  It's cute and tidy. I like tidy. Put it on your baking sheet.
See?  Tidy and Compact.  Ready for action.
  • Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. After removing them from the oven, leave them wrapped to cool, I would say at least an hour.  I left mine overnight.  I just got too tired to deal, meh.
Juicy, roasted and ready to be peeled.
  • If you have long hair, put your it in a pony tail.  Really, you're about to stain your hands and you don't want to do the same to your face or hair.
  • Peel the beets with your hands and see the magical color your fingers turn, instantly.
  • Cut them into whatever size chunks you want...I did half moons.
My mom says to put as many colors on your plate as can.  Look Mom, I listened.

Serving Suggestions:  In salads.  With Goat Cheese & Walnuts drizzled with Olive Oil & Balsamic and Salt & Pepper. By themselves with your Fave Vinaigrette.  Straight out of the Fridge into Your Mouth.  #getafterit

No comments:

Post a Comment