Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Keep Calm and Crab On


As Julia Child would say, "Bon Apetit"

My birthday was this past weekend and I wanted to host my friends this year.  It never bothers me when I go out for others peoples birthdays, but I never feel good about asking other people to pay for mine.  It's a weird guilty-conscious thing that I have.  I blame my mom.  Solution to it:  throw my own party and let my friends enjoy a fun night.  HUGE success and new tradition.
See how happy they are?  This is Sus's First Annual Birthday Crab Feed.
Hosting for some people is so stressful, but it really doesn't have to be.  For big groups, if you pick meals that you can either prep mostly in advance, or that "serve themselves," the night will carry on smoothly.  My rule is to plan a menu that allows me to enjoy my company, too.  I'm not just having these peeps over so that I can blog about it, I really do want to hang out with them, #truestory #lovemyfriends

My Roommate is one of my absolute best friends, and she makes for an excellent co-host!
So crab.  Perfect for a group.  Ideal, really.  I know, it's pricey but I really wanted it!  If you are young and living on a budget like my friends and I are but you want to host a crab feed, I don't think it's inappropriate to ask people to throw in some bones for their share of the crab.  If everyone gave you $20, it would cover their crab and garlic bread, and then some.  Since all I wanted for my birthday was a night with my besties, I took care of it all and just asked people to bring a bottle of wine or champagne.  Easy, they all knew where to find that.


This is how I did it, and I promise you it works.  I say this confidently, not cockily, my friends would all be down for a repeat if I offered.  So either offer up your place and ask people to chip in, or host the night and get the same gratification from "taking care of others" that I do.  Some people call that wife material, I call it love :)


I can't tell you what my wish is until it comes true.  #sorryimnotsorry
This plan includes: Apps, Caesar Salad, Garlic Bread, Crab, Cake, and Set-Up

Your Week Leading Up to the Crab Feed:

  • 5-7 Days in Advance:  
    • Order Crab.  Plan on about 1 crab per person, and if you have leftovers, lucky you!  Ask your fish counter to "crack and clean" the crabs for you.  There isn't usually a fee for this, and it's definitely not something that you want to deal with at home, #takingcareofbusiness
    •  Order a Cake!  Unless you are going to bake one.  We have so many renowned bakeries in San Francisco that it was left to the professionals.  It was so worth it.  They know what they are doing.
  • 4-5 Days in Advance: Pay the grocery store a visit for crouton ingredients, recipe is here.
  • 3-4 Days in Advance: Make Croutons.  Don't be annoyed.  This is a really simple meal, make every ingredient count.  Store them in a plastic bag or Tupperware, and keep it in the fridge.
This picture is irrelevant.  I just think it's a cute pic of my friend.  Plus her bib says "pinch me."  Killin' me!
  • 1-2 Days in Advance: Grocery Store
    • Apps - keep it simple, you have a fancy dinner!  I had cheese and Crackers:  Manchego and Brie.  Done.
    • Salad:  Romaine Lettuce and Caesar Salad Dressing.  Until I find a recipe that I love to make, I am going to buy Brianna's Caesar.  I love it so much, click here to find what I mean.  Most grocery stores have it.
    • Garlic Bread:  Enough of your favorite bread (we had 2 loaves for 13 people), two sticks of butter, and 1 head of garlic. I used Italian Pugliese Bread, btw.
    • Lemons - about 1/2 per person
    • More butter if you want to serve it melted on the table
    • Mani/Pedi
  • The Day Before: 
    • Set the table.  You will be happy you did tomorrow when you have extra time to finish curling your hair...or go get a blowout if you are anything like me.
I borrowed plates from my mom, she's the ultimate hostess.
    • Crush your garlic and mash it into the butter
    • Spray Tan
  • The Day Of:
    • Slice the loaves of bread lengthwise (hotdog style), smear the garlic butter, and then cut it into 6-10 slices, depending on how wide you like your slices.  Wrap the whole loaf, sliced, in foil, and set it aside until it's closer to party time.

    • Pick up the cake
    • Pick up the crab
    • Go get your hair did
    • Put the garlic bread in a low temp oven (250-300 degrees) about 1/2 an hour before your guests arrive
    • Do your make-up and get dressed
    • Put out the cheese and crackers and enjoy some cocktails with your guests.
    • Right before dinner, chop the lettuce and toss with croutons and dressing.  Place the crab in a serving dish.
    •  Call Bon Apetit to your guests and enjoy the feast!
Cheers to a successful evening!



No comments:

Post a Comment