Friday, January 3, 2014

Meet Brussels Sprouts, Your New Fave Veggie

This pan is "well loved"
I have NO idea where Brussels Sprouts got such a bad wrap.  They are the token vegetable for vegetable haters and I cannot figure out why.  They are delicious.  They cook so quickly and serve as a perfect side in the winter.  They are in season now so.....jump on it, jump jump jump on it.

I like them roasted and this is how you do it, #amazing.  Also, did you know that they are BrusselS Sprouts?  Like the city of Brussels, with an "s" at the end?  I just had my mind blown.  Learn something new everyday.

I buy mine at the Farmers Market.   I think you can see why.

Equipment you will need:
  • Roasting Pan - I used a brownie pan, it's the perfect size for 1-2 servings, if you have a crowd go for a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil
Ingredients:
  • Brussels Sprouts: however many you want, I eat about 8 whole ones, 16 halves. If you end up with leftovers, enjoy them.  And congratulations on the self control.  You got me beat.
  • 2t olive oil.  No measuring, I beg you.  Pour for about 3 seconds
  • Salt & Pepper
HUGE Sprouts
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 400
  • Remove the stems/bottoms of your Brussels Sprouts and then cut them in half (quarters if they are really big like the ones in my pictures)
  • Put the halves AND the stray leaves in the pan.  The leaves will fall off and you should absolutely keep them.  They get a little crispy and salty and are to die for.
  • Pour the olive oil over the sprouts
  • Sprinkle on some salt and pepper - a couple of twists from each grinder
  • Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, shaking them around once or twice throughout
Post Olive Oil & Seasoning, pre-roast
Eat up.  So easy.  So tasty.  And your peers will be impressed that you are making such a trendy vegetable.  Really though, they have gotten trendy, kinda like babies.  Talk about a key accessory for the season.
See those Crunchy pieces? #getafterit

No comments:

Post a Comment